The first European family to settle in the area was the Prebble family. Richard and William, who had come to New Zealand in 1840 with their parents, purchased the first piece of land when it was surveyed in 1852.They were later joined by a younger brother Edward. The area was known as Prebble Town for some years before it became Prebbleton. As more land was surveyed more settlers, mainly from England but also Ireland, arrived to farm the land which proved to be very fertile once cleared and ploughed.
The hotel was established in 1868. Edward Prebble set up a bottle store in one part of his store. When that part of his business became the most profitable the store was changed into the hotel. Edward also farmed in the area calling his farm Ashford, after the village in Kent where the family had lived.The old hotel was burned down about 1900 and the new one was built on the same site. Major renovations were made by the Gilmores in the 1970s. The Gilmores still own and operate the Tavern to this day and are possibly the longest serving publicans in the New Zealand.
Prebbleton Village itself was formed when John Norris Tosswill subdivided his large farm to form a settlement in 1862. A chapel school was built on the land donated by Tosswill but became too small and was sold and moved to Longbeach (still used there today). A new school was built and also a church – All Saints Anglican Church – was built by Benjamin Mountfort.